Confirmation at Christ Lutheran 2018-19
- Ensure that students understand the teachings and beliefs of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.
- Foster an individual, relevant relationship between the student and Jesus Christ that he or she can profess and begin modeling in daily life.
- Transition the 8th-grade student from Junior High into the High School ministry and beyond.
- Confirmation Classes and Test: Confirmation classes are held on Sunday mornings in the Fall in Room 141 from 9:30-10:30. This class focuses on Lutheran doctrine. Students should bring a bible, notebook, and pencil to take notes. Students will be required to score 85% or higher on a written test held in December. A retest will be given for all students who do not achieve 85 percent on the test. In the Spring, 8th-graders move into the high school class on Sunday mornings.
- “What Jesus Means to Me Speeches” and Rite of Confirmation: All students are required to make a public declaration of their faith and lifelong pledge to follow Jesus Christ. These will be held on Saturday, May 5, 2018. We will hold the Rite of Confirmation after speeches at this service.
- Small groups at Mentor Couple homes, Wednesdays 6:15-7:45. Students meet in small group (6-8 kids) in the homes of adult Mentor Couples to apply what they learned on Sunday mornings in real-life situations. Every year, confirmands look back on their experiences with Mentor Couples as a highlight of the Confirmation program.
- Memory Work: By 8th grade, students are expected to have memorized and to be able to demonstrate the following:
5th Grade Work
Salvation John 14:6
Answered Prayer Luke 11:9
Assurance of Victory 1 Cor. 10:13
Forgiveness Ephesians 4:32
Guidance Proverbs 3:5-6
6th Grade Work
Christ the Center 2 Cor. 5:17
Obedience James 1:22
The Word Psalm 119:105
Power Philippians 4:13
Holiness 1 Cor. 6:19-20
Witnessing Romans 1:16
7th Grade Work
All have Sinned Romans 3:23
Golden Rule Luke 6:31
Friendships Proverbs 13:20
Salvation Not by Works Ephesians 2:8-9
Must Receive Christ Romans 10:9-10
8th Grade Work
First Article of Apostles’ Creed & meaning
Second Article of Apostles’ Creed & meaning
Third Article of Apostles’ Creed & meaning
10 Commandments & meaning
Students who attended 5th-grade Communion Classes at Christ Lutheran received a copy of Luther’s Catechism. This is a key component of the confirmation program. If you did not receive a copy, please contact the church office. You can also find it online at The Book of Concord.
Contact us: If you have any questions about the confirmation program, or need help determining if it’s right for your child(ren), please email Korey Danley or call 345-9700.