Have you ever had a houseful of company and didn’t have enough sheets for all of the beds? Well, City Union Mission welcomes over 400 men, women and children almost every night. Can you imagine having enough sheets for all of those beds? What about all of that laundry?! Please help us help City Union Mission make each and every one of those beds by donating new or gently used (clean) twin sheet sets (fitted sheet, flat sheet, pillow case) during our “Let’s make the bed!” drive. Sheets can contain characters and words but neither can be offensive.
Let’s all help make the bed by each one touching something right now, for the event and/or after the event! Below are some ways you can help . . .
Touch something right now . . . shop for twin sheet sets
- Check the sale circulars in the Sunday paper and/or your mailbox. Oftentimes you can get an even larger discount if by using their store credit card and coupons
- Discount retailers like Home Goods, TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning and Big Lots
- Larger resale shops like Blessings Abound, Goodwill and Savers
- Garage sales are also a great place to find twin sheet sets
Touch something for the event . . .
- April 22nd – walk through the neighborhoods and deliver invitations to our neighbors
- April 22nd/April 29th/April 30th – be the event photographer for any or all of the dates
- Anytime before April 30th – shop for welcome kit supplies – we’ll supply the list and the funds
- April 29th – pick-up the items that our neighbors have donated
- April 29th – setup for sorting sheets and making welcome kits
- Anytime before April 30th – bring in “flat” boxes from Costco or Sam’s Club to use for delivering sheets and welcome kits
- April 30th – help us sort sheets, put together welcome kits or write thank you notes
Touch something after the event . . .
- Deliver donated items to the City Union Mission warehouse during business hours
- Deliver items that cannot be used at the City Union Mission shelters to their resale store, City Thrift at College & Antioch
Do you find yourself with time on your hands during the week and need someplace to serve, think about these opportunities with our mission partners:
Blessings Abound needs volunteers to help move furniture. Furniture moving equipment is used; safety 1st! Flexible schedule, no regular commitment. Contact Tony Whitter or the store for more information.
City Union Mission is in need of people to assist with stocking and distributing goods from their Community Assistance Store. If you are interested in any of these opportunities, click here to complete a volunteer application.
New Hope Food Pantry is looking for help packing up donations or assisting the clients as they shop for food. Contact New Hope for more information at (913) 782-0955.
TurnStyles is seeking volunteers interested in working as Cashiers, Greeters or Merchandisers at their store in Overland Park.
Make sure that you check the web sites for our Mission Partners if you are looking for a job, oftentimes they are looking for dedicated, mature Christians for their organizations: City Union Mission
Save the Dates!
City Union Mission Bedding Drive
April 22nd, 10am: Distribute invitations
April 29th, 11am: Item pick-up
April 30th, 9:30am: Item sorting
School Supply & Food Drive
July 22nd, 10am: Distribute invitations
July 29th, 11am: Item pick-up
July 30th, 9:30am: Item sorting