OUTREACH AT A GLANCEYou will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. Acts 1:8
Don’t miss out on what’s happening in Outreach or with our Mission Partners!
Vision Statement for Outreach at CLC
When Jesus gave the marching orders to the church He said, “Go and make disciples of all nations…” and again in Acts 1:8 said, “You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” The picture Jesus painted is one of His grace rippling outwards from His cross. God begins the ripple in our own baptism as we are connected to the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, but then it moves outward. As we grow in our faith, and are discipled by Jesus, we become His witnesses in our own “Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria” as we reach those in our homes, neighborhoods, workplaces, and the mission partners we have committed to as a congregation. Some of our outreach efforts have more to do with “works of mercy” (helping people in tangible ways with physical needs), while other outreach efforts have more to do with “witness and evangelism” (sharing the Gospel). CLC is doing outreach on various levels ranging from local to global…
"You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea..." (Level 1 & 2)
- Equipping our members to be neighborhood and workplace missionaries, and to invite people into the ministries of CLC. This takes place through curriculum/events/programs such as Work as Worship, Missionaries Made, and blesseveryhome.com.
- Alpha: a 11 week course that gives you a safe place to invite an unchurched or seeking friend, family member, co-worker, or neighbor. At Alpha, people learn the basics of Christianity, over a meal, and then are given the freedom to ask hard questions, to disagree, and to share their own current beliefs.
- REACH: partnering several times a year with almost 2000 homes in the neighborhood of CLC, by inviting them to help care for the least, the lost, and the lonely with donation collections towards our mission partners.
- Local Benevolence/Mission partners: we are investing our time and our treasures in the ministries of several local mission partners such as City Union Mission, Metro Lutheran Ministries, and New Hope Food Pantry.
- Partnering internally across ministries: outreach happens through many of our ministries (Care/Family, Children and Youth, Education).
- Occasional Outreach events such as the LEGO event held in August through which we invited people in the community of all ages to build a Biblically themed LEGO creation.
"You will be my witnesses in...Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Level 3 and 4)
- Lutheran Early Response Team (LERT): we have members trained and certified to respond to local and national emergency situations such as flooding, hurricane, and tornado relief.
- James Project of Latin America (JPLA): we send a team of people annually to Shadow of His Wings children’s home in Monjas, Guatemala
- Operation Christmas Child (OCC)/Samaritan’s Purse: we box several thousand shoe boxes each year that are deployed to children around the world. The show box consists of small toys, clothing, and show supplies.
How You Can Help With Our Mission Partners
Match your Spiritual Gifts or skills to the matrix on the left to find ways to help with our mission partners! If you don’t know what your Spiritual Gifts are and would like to know, complete the Spiritual Gifts Assessment, email the scoring sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org and someone on the Outreach team will email your top three Spiritual Gifts back to you.
The Kansas District Is Very Appreciative of Your Efforts
July REACH Collection To Benefit GateWay of Hope
Christmas In July
Celebrate 50 Years Of Service With MLM!
Calling All Gardeners!
Spring is the perfect time to help get the MLM orchard and garden plots ready for the growing season. This is a great opportunity for families or small groups to get out and enjoy the weather while helping in the community. Contact Rebecka Noel for more information or to volunteer.
Minor Home Repair Is Back!
MLM is looking for a few good workers to help repair stairs, install handrails, caulk windows, replace bathroom floors, etc. Can you help? This is a limited request for only the dates below:
April 21st & 22nd
April 26th, 27th, 28th & 29th
Please contact Rebecka Noel for more information or to volunteer.
Help With Permanent Supportive Housing
Did you know that MLM had a program that helps those who are chronically homeless to get off the streets and into safe housing? Permanent Supportive Housing is a program that provides long-term permanent rental housing with supportive services to homeless individuals who have disabling conditions including severe and persistent mental illness, substance use disorders, physical, developmental, or other behavioral disabilities.
Housing for this program is provided at Grace Homes and right now there are a wide variety of jobs that need to be done for both skilled workers (plumbing, eletrical and carpentry) and those who are good at general repair/handyman tasks. Please contact Rebecka Noel for more information or to volunteer.
Women, Could You Use A Lifeline?
Lifeline to Hope is a life coaching series at GateWay of Hope created for women who need help brushing up on their job-hunting skills, managing their families during this very stressful time and growing in self-confidence. You will feel empowered to go out and find that next job or move to your next level. There are three strands to Lifeline to Hope:
- Get the Job YOU Want
- iTango Parenting – Six Essential Traits for Effective Parenting
- Building Unshakable Self Confidence
Session cost is $15.00 per session.
Click here for a list of the Lifeline to Hope sessions.
Click here to register for one or multiple strands or sessions
Well Woman Wednesday's
Well Woman Wednesday is a weekly conversation that will help you learn to be happier and healthier. A FREE weekly discussion, every Wednesday from 12 – 12:30pm on Zoom.
The discussions are facilitated by Dacia Moore, a licensed Professional Counselor and Executive Director of GateWay of Hope.
Sign-up and join the group every Wednesday!
Thank You For Your Support Of The Walk For Life 2021
After a year away, the 2021 Walk For Life was everything and more that Advice & Aid could have possibly imagined and you were a part of it! Some highlights from the walk:
- 576 Walkers
- Beautiful weather…after a wet spring
- A record number of sponsors
- 71 local churches stepped up to support the walk this year (yes, CLC was a sponsor!)
- The $110,000 goal was surpassed; $120,000 was raised
Thank you to those of you who participated on Team CLC and also to those who supported our Team!
Advice & Aid Could Use Some Items This Summer
Advice & Aid is looking for some items for the children whose parents attend the Connection Class:
- 15 packages of sidewalk chalk
- 20 rubber indoor/outdoor balls
- 15 bottles of bubbles
- 15 red & white checkered plastic tablecloths
Please contact Advice & Aid’s main office at 913.962.0200 to arrange a time to drop-off the items.
Thank You For Supporting Joy Run 2021
Your partnership in the Joy Run helped raise over $50,000 and a total of 11,800 miles were run/walked! The money raised will support children across Kansas and Missouri with housing, resources and community support so that they can find stability, healing and joy.
Both the money raised and the miles are records for the Joy Run, so thank you, thank you, thank you for your partnership!
City Union Mission Has Some Needs This Summer
City Union Mission is currently in need of some items, both food and non-food items:
Find Out How Your Generosity Is Helping Our Mission Partners
Our mission partners have taken the tithes and offerings of our members and friends and turned them into life-changing services for the clients and guests they serve. Click on the links below to discover how your generosity is making a difference:
You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.
Christ Lutheran Church
11720 Nieman Road
Overland Park, KS 66210
Contact us at:
Care Needs 913.754.5812