OUTREACH AT A GLANCEYou will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. Acts 1:8
Don’t miss out on what’s happening in Outreach or with our Mission Partners!
Vision Statement for Outreach at CLC
When Jesus gave the marching orders to the church He said, “Go and make disciples of all nations…” and again in Acts 1:8 said, “You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” The picture Jesus painted is one of His grace rippling outwards from His cross. God begins the ripple in our own baptism as we are connected to the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, but then it moves outward. As we grow in our faith, and are discipled by Jesus, we become His witnesses in our own “Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria” as we reach those in our homes, neighborhoods, workplaces, and the mission partners we have committed to as a congregation. Some of our outreach efforts have more to do with “works of mercy” (helping people in tangible ways with physical needs), while other outreach efforts have more to do with “witness and evangelism” (sharing the Gospel). CLC is doing outreach on various levels ranging from local to global…
"You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea..." (Level 1 & 2)
- Equipping our members to be neighborhood and workplace missionaries, and to invite people into the ministries of CLC. This takes place through curriculum/events/programs such as Work as Worship, Missionaries Made, and blesseveryhome.com.
- Alpha: a 11 week course that gives you a safe place to invite an unchurched or seeking friend, family member, co-worker, or neighbor. At Alpha, people learn the basics of Christianity, over a meal, and then are given the freedom to ask hard questions, to disagree, and to share their own current beliefs.
- REACH: partnering several times a year with almost 2000 homes in the neighborhood of CLC, by inviting them to help care for the least, the lost, and the lonely with donation collections towards our mission partners.
- Local Benevolence/Mission partners: we are investing our time and our treasures in the ministries of several local mission partners such as City Union Mission, Metro Lutheran Ministries, and New Hope Food Pantry.
- Partnering internally across ministries: outreach happens through many of our ministries (Care/Family, Children and Youth, Education).
- Occasional Outreach events such as the LEGO event held in August through which we invited people in the community of all ages to build a Biblically themed LEGO creation.
"You will be my witnesses in...Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Level 3 and 4)
- Lutheran Early Response Team (LERT): we have members trained and certified to respond to local and national emergency situations such as flooding, hurricane, and tornado relief.
- James Project of Latin America (JPLA): we send a team of people annually to Shadow of His Wings children’s home in Monjas, Guatemala
- Operation Christmas Child (OCC)/Samaritan’s Purse: we box several thousand shoe boxes each year that are deployed to children around the world. The show box consists of small toys, clothing, and show supplies.
How You Can Help With Our Mission Partners
Match your Spritual Gifts or skills to the matrix on the right to find ways to help with our mission partners! If you don’t know what your Spiritual Gifts are and would like to know, complete the Spiritual Gifts Assessment (it’s only necessary to print the last page, the Scoring sheet) and email your scoring sheet to email@example.com and someone on the Outreach team will email your top three Spiritual Gifts back to you.
WE DID IT!!! In less than THREE hours no less!!! All 1,500+ (1,556 to be exact) shoeboxes got packed and they are now on their way to their next destination of Denver, CO. to be sorted and then shipped to children all over the world.
Thank you to those who lead the efforts, who shopped and found bargins of which even the most frugal of shoppers would be proud! Those who selected items from the actual Giving Tree or the virtual online version; those who took the time to sort, package and/or repackage items. Thank you, if you took the time out of your day to help build and label shoeboxes, help setup, tear down or re-setup. Thank you especially to those who helped the day of the packing party, packing shoeboxes or packing shipping cartons, we couldn’t have done any of this without YOU!
December Collection of the Month: Advice & Aid Pregnancy Center
November REACH Mission Project of the Month Brought Much To Storehouse!
The Christmas Store Is Still In Need Of Some Items
This year, the MLM Christmas Store is bringing the joy of Jesus to almost 1,400 families and you can help! Right now, the store is still in need of the following brand new items (unless otherwise indicated). Items in bold below are of greater need:
- Multi-packs of socks and underwear (women & children)
- King and queen-size blankets
- Coats (new and/or gently used)
- Small kitchen appliances – especially slow cookers, toaster ovens and coffee makers (please keep in mind that many of MLM’s clients don’t have stoves/ovens that work well)
- Kids clothing sizes 10/12 and 14/16
- Sports balls
- Bath & body sets for both men and women
- Make-up kits/nail polish sets
Donations can be dropped off at MLM (3031 Holmes, KCMO 64109) until Friday, Dec. 4th or if you would prefer to donate online, you may do so. Make sure that you add the comment that you would like your donation to be directed to the Christmas Store
The Christmas Store Can Use YOU!
Are you looking for something to do Sunday, Nov. 29th or Dec. 6th? The MLM Christmas store is in urgent need for Christmas store volunteers to “shop” for their clients or make hygiene kits (Dec. 6th). This year, due to COVID-19, the store is assisting 1,390 families and all of the shopping will be done prior to the clients arriving rather than allowing clients to shop for themselves/their families. If you would like to help either Sunday, please visit the Christmas Store’s Volunteer Sign-up page. You may contact Rebecka Noel directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you might have.
Young Professionals, You're Invited!
Advice & Aid would appreciate it if you’d RSVP so they can make sure they have enough treats and hot cocoa. There is no charge for this event but everyone is encouraged to bring a $5 gift card to their own favorite restaurant or store so Advice & Aid can provide a small treat for their moms.
You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
Christ Lutheran Church
11720 Nieman Road
Overland Park, KS 66210
Contact us at:
Care Needs 913.754.5812