We offer our New Member Orientation and Starting Point classes three times a year. They are an opportunity to explore who we are at Christ Lutheran Church and Education Center, and also to find out more about our specific beliefs as Lutheran Christians. You are not obligated to join the church just because you participate in these learning opportunities.
New Member Orientation: (4 hours total)
- Attend two weeks of classes (held on Sunday mornings) to learn about our church’s mission and ministries, what you receive and how you might engage as a member (2 hours)
- Take the Gallup CliftonStrengths assessment. This discovery tool (taken on your own time) includes an informative report about your top 5 strengths and is provided for all new members to help you understand how God has uniquely gifted you (30 minutes)
- Participate in a session with a strengths development coach (held at a time that’s convenient to you) to learn more about how God has created you and how your unique talents can be positively applied at church and in all aspects of your life (1.5 hours)
- Pick at least one “next step”, and receive a call or email within a couple of weeks of joining as a follow-up
Starting Point: (3 hours)
- For those who do not have a background in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), attend an interesting and informative class to learn what we confess and believe. This class is taught by Pastor Russ and (generally, but not always) held on a Saturday morning
Find more details about these classes by reading below or by emailing email@example.com.
September 10th: Orientation Session 1
September 17th: Orientation Session 2
Register now for Orientation and/or Starting Point
September 13th via Zoom (Registration is required)
We are honored you are seeking information on membership at Christ Lutheran! It will be a pleasure to get to know you better…and for you to learn more about us. Participation in ChristConnect Orientation does not obligate you in any way to join the church. We will certainly extend the invitation and explain the process so your decision on whether or not to join might be one of prayer and conviction, armed with all the facts you require.
At our orientation classes we will cover the following items…
- A brief history of Christ Lutheran Church and Education Center
- Our Governance, Vision/Mission, and Main Areas of Ministry
- You will meet the heads of our main areas of ministry and hear a brief overview of that area
- Stewardship at CLCOP
- Brief overview of our basic beliefs (more in-depth teaching at StartingPoint)
- Our philosophy of membership: why join?
- Statement of Faith Commitment and Faith Family Form
- Our Next Step discipleship process
- Finding your strengths by taking the Gallup Clifton Strengths assessment and participating in a coaching session
- Using your G.P.S.
You may register for the next session by indicating an interest in membership many different ways:
What is a Lutheran-Christian?
Why do Lutheran-Christians baptize babies?
Do Lutheran-Christians believe you need to have a personal relationship with Jesus or be born again?
We will deal with these questions and more. This class will explore the nuances between LCMS Lutherans and other Christian denominations. There is much we have in common with other Christians; and yet, there are some noticeable differences as well.
We want you to fully understand what you are “signing up for” when you join CLC; rather than being shocked or surprised later.
This class is required for all seeking membership who are coming to Christ Lutheran from a non-LCMS background. This class, along with orientation, assumes a basic understanding of the Christian faith.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to put your name on the list for the next class.
Christ Lutheran Church
11720 Nieman Road
Overland Park, KS 66210
Contact us at:
Care Needs: Call or Text 913-346-3454